The Nairobi Innovation Week has partnered with the African Development Bank to run a joint startup challenge that will focus on the Bank’s High 5 priorities. The competition is dubbed High 5s Startup Challenge. The 5 thematic areas of focus are;
- Light up and power Africa
- Feed Africa
- Industrialize Africa
- Integrate Africa
- Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Startups from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Ethiopia are eligible to apply. However, the startup should focus on at least one of the 5 thematic areas of the banks five priorities. Startups with an inclination towards energy production and distribution are encouraged to apply since they focus on the High 5s. Startups in sustainable food production and agri-business fall under Feed Africa pillar with others in industrialization and mobility of people falling under Industrialize and Integrate Africa respectively. Lastly, startups that empower the community will fall under the Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa pillar.
The top 5 startups will be awarded with a cash prize of upto USD 1000. In addition;
- Travel costs to attend the NIW 2018 (a round trip economy class ticket) and accommodation if coming from outside Kenya will be catered for.
- A placard in recognition of the innovation will be awarded.
- Opportunity to exhibit the innovation at the NIW2018 at the exhibition booths.
- Opportunity to meet and interact with the Director General AfDB, East Africa Regional Development and business-orientedness Delivery Office.
#NIW2018 will have the startup agenda as one of the areas of focus. “We recognise the role of startups and innovation in building a sustainable economies,” said Dr. Omwansa, the chairperson of the organising committee. “Worldover, the big economies constantly innovate and reinvent themselves to create more employment opportunities as they grow their economies,” he continued. The NIW2018 organising committee is rooting for partnerships with private sector that will have a lasting impact post the innovation week and in the build up to NIW2019 in March next year. AFDB is a valuable partner to the Nairobi Innovation Week, sharing the same vision to build a partnership that will truly impact generations to come.
To learn more and register, visit http://afdb.niw.co.ke/